Note: This position can be based in either Plano TX or Draper UT.
The company seeks an experienced consumer regulatory attorney. The position will initially focus on supporting the Acima segment and will expand over time to support enterprise-wide consumer regulatory matters.
Provide legal advice to the company regarding the full range of consumer regulatory matters impacting its current and planned business activities, including supporting operations, marketing, product development, technology/IT and litigation/investigations.
- Provide advice to internal business partners regarding the full range of federal and state consumer regulatory compliance matters, including, for example, marketing/advertising, digital contracts, consumer disclosures and consents, merchant agreements and oversight, UDAP/UDAAP, payments, collections and credit reporting.
- Maintain proficiency in state lease-to-own regulations in order to assist the company in maintaining compliance with associated requirements.
- Assist and support the enterprise in responding to audits of consumer regulatory compliance at the state and federal level.
- Stay up to date with legal, regulatory, and policy issues pertaining to the various lines of Acima and RCII businesses.
- Provide oversight to the development of consumer facing public communications and or documents to ensure ongoing compliance across all forums.
- Interpret the external regulatory environment and identify solutions for ongoing compliance practices.
- Manage timely implementation of regulatory guidance while ensuring that leaders and internal stakeholders are kept informed of their roles and responsibilities.
- Provide internal training support on compliance, consumer protection, and other related issues as needed.
- Lead and or serve on cross functional business teams to develop compliance procedures, specifications, and corporate policies.
- Provide litigation, regulatory investigation and arbitration support on an as-needed basis
- Support general legal department requests on an as-needed basis
- Work with and manage outside counsel on an as-needed basis
- Juris Doctorate degree
- Admitted to state bar and actively licensed to practice law
- At least 5+ years’ experience as a licensed attorney at a reputable law firm and/or in-house for a consumer retail or finance/payments company
- At least 5+ years of experience in consumer regulatory matters with an emphasis in finance/payments or retail business lines
- Proficient with Microsoft Office
- Must be highly organized and detail oriented
- Strong negotiation skills
- Exceptional analytical and problem solving skills
- Excellent oral and written skills in the communication of business and legal issues
- Relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals within time allotted
- Collaborative and able to build effective internal working relationships
- Strong work ethic and demonstrates initiative
- Position can reside in Draper Utah or Plano Texas
- Position reports to either General Counsel or Assistant General Counsel